As you can see in this photo, I attached a yarn pom-pom to the hat I made for my daughter, Zee. It desperately needed a pom-pom to reach peak cuteness.
About an hour after I attached this pom-pom, Zee and our nanny (yes, we’re bougie and have a nanny), M, returned from an excursion. M was laughing hysterically and handed me a handful of soggy yarn bits. I couldn’t tell what it was at first.
Then I realized, it was the pom-pom.
Zee had pulled it off within seconds of realizing it was there.
I did more research and tried again and again, using different methods I found on the internet.* Each time, she destroyed them within seconds. I just couldn’t find a way to increase the tension enough to withstand her persistence.
At this point, I gave up. Zee’s hat was simply forlorn without a cheerful adornment, but I was stumped.
On a whim, I picked up a few knitting books from my local library during the Shutdown when I went to fax (yes, fax) an absurd amount of documentation for my unemployment claim. I wasn’t looking for a solution to my pom-pom problem, but I found a clever little pattern in 200 Knitting Tips, Techniques & Trade Secrets by Betty Barnden – a knitted pom-pom.
It’s very simple. You cast on a bunch of stitches and basically turn each set of 3 stitches into one stitch using two types of decreases:
Cast on 135 stitches. Knit 1 row. Dec row: *S2togpo* repeat from * to end. Repeat the dec row until 5 stitches remain, cut yarn leaving a long tail. Thread the tail into a yarn or tapestry needle and and slip through the remaining 5 stitches. Gather tightly and secure.
Unfortunately, “S2togpo” is a nonsensical abbreviation, and my research led me to believe that it should be slip 1 stitch knitwise, knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over.
These little pom-poms are truly a delight to knit. It’s just really fun to watch them take shape.
The hat is no longer forlorn, and, most importantly, my daughter hasn’t figured out how to destroy them yet.
I prefer the stockinette texture to garter stitch, so I substituted purl for knitting when I made the pom-pom for my daughter’s other hat. It didn’t change the visual texture all that much, but I think it does look a little more polished.
Stay tuned for next week’s Baby Hats Part III: Ear flaps.